Hotel Suisse, Kandy, Sri Lanka
1 images Created 1 Dec 2019
Another great colonial hotel in Kandy, Sri Lanka: Hotel Suisse. %0A%0AThe building was originally the residence of Pilimatala Gabada Nilame, the Chief Minister of the Royal Granary, and was built in the 17th century on land where the King’s buffaloes grazed. Following the Great Rebellion of 1817–18 the building was confiscated by the British in 1818 and given to a British officer, who called it Haramby (Aramba) House.%0A%0AIn 1846 it became the residence of George Wall, the manager of the Ceylon Plantation Company. In the early 1880s the building was occupied by the Kandy Club. In 1887 the club moved.%0A%0AIn 1924 the building was acquired by a Swiss lady, Jeanne Louisa Burdayron, who operated it as a guest house before it became a hotel. The building was also used as a maternity ward for planters' wives. During World War II (between April 1944 and 1945), it was the headquarters of the South East Asia Command under Lord Louis Mountbatten.%0A%0AIt has 90 rooms.