The House on Sathorn, Bangkok, Thailand
3 images Created 10 Nov 2016
The Sathon Mansion was built in 1888, during the reign King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) for Luang Chitchamnongwanit, son-in-law of Luang Sathon Rajayukta, the wealthy Chinese businessman and government official who owned and developed the land around Khlong Sathon. In 1910, Luang Chitchamnongwanit went bankrupt, and ownership of the mansion fell to the Privy Purse (later to become the Crown Property Bureau) in 1916.%0A%0AKing Vajiravudh (Rama VI) bestowed the mansion to Chao Phraya Ram Rakhop, and later, in the 1920s, it became the site of the Hotel Royal. In 1948, the property was leased to the USSR, and it served as the site of the Soviet—and later Russian—Embassy until the year 2002.%0A%0AIt is now a fine dining restaurant The House on Sathorn.